Hooray, the primer coat job was done this morning in 4 hours. (Good thing too, because by the time we got finished, the sun became really hot.)
Here are a few of the noteworthy things, including the boneheaded stunts.
- Panic at first paint can opening. The can was only 1/3 full! WTF! But then I realized that the can was oversized to leave room to add catalyst and thinner, and to stir it without spilling. That's sensible, but it also means that the price wasn't $50/quart it was $150/quart!
- The primer paint goes on really thin, and the color coverage is not very good. No problem, the finish coats are supposed to provide the cover.
- I feared running out of paint. We had 2 cans to cover 300 square feet. I heard one place that the coverage was 120 square feet, but we could thin it to 150. Then another source said only 100 square feet. I feared that we needed one more can. But it worked. We painted every square inch planned without a single drop of paint left over.
- As I was working on the stern, I looked down at our car parked close in. Oh no, it had paint drips on the roof, and the windows! I scrambles with thinner and clean rage. All the spots came off. Whew! Boneheaded stunt. I moved the car far away.
- I used foam roller covers just like Jamestown Distributors recommended, but the foam dissolved in the paint and fell off the roller. I finished the last little bit of the starboard side holding the foam in my fingers. It got my gloves all painty. When I got down, I saw white fingerprints on the rub rail where I braced myself getting down.
- Libby refused to wear the safety glasses. Some of the paint thinner splashed in her eye. It was painful, and she felt at risk up on the scaffold while blinded. I guided her down, poured clean water in her eye, and dabbed it with a rag a few times. It worked OK, no injury and no remaining redness.
- With that stuff in her eye, Libby took off her disposable gloves. Then she forgot to use new gloves when resuming her work. Got her hands all covered with paint.
- I bought too much of the thinner because of a misunderstanding between me and the Jamestown Distributor expert who I consulted. I'll return the extra.
- It worked well to paint the east-facing starboard side 0730-0930 when the sun was low and the temperature was in the 70s, then move to the shaded port side 0930-1130. By 1200 both sides were in the sun and the temperature was in the 90s.
[p.s. I know that lots of regular blog readers just wait for the next boneheaded stunts I pull. I sure seem to do my best to keep them entertained.]